Tips to Start Feeling Better Now
- Rest: Get a full nights sleep every night. 8 hours is recommended for the average adult. If your mind wanders I recommend meditation which is easy to use if you use an app on your phone or recorded.
- Water: 8 glasses of water or more depending on your level of activity. Limit caffeinated drinks as they make you jittery for a bit followed by a drop in energy. If energy is a serious issue after you regulate sleep I would recommend a mental focus drink not your basic energy drink. Spark by AdvoCare.com is always a good option.
- Exercise: You knew I was going to get here eventually right? 30-60 minutes daily is recommended. Not hard core working out but physical activity. Go walking at the park, swimming, or yoga if you suffer from chronic pain.
- Sun: Besides increasing your vitamin D. Sun light increases your Dopamine. Our reward hormone. I call it the happy hormone because the more you have the more happy your mood. So put on some sunscreen and get out there. Remember the water, sun drains us of water but also helps us sleep better. Three birds with one stone there!
- Omega-3’s: Fish oil is a rich source of the two essential omega-3 fatty acids – EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). Research links low tissue levels of EPA and DHA to a host of mental/emotional disorders.
- Social Interaction: Get connected with people again. Call that old friend who you miss or that person who always knows the right things to say. Have coffee in a public place or read at the library. If lack of support or isolation is a major issue this is something we can discuss for options to get you the support you need.
- 3 things you love doing: Identify the things you love doing and do three of them weekly. If you can’t think of anything right now, look into your past to remember what you used to enjoy. Ask people around you for ideas and try something new. Always have something to look forward to no matter how small.
Tapping In: By Laura Parnell $12.67
A great way of tapping into your natural self soothing resources.
Getting Past Your Past: By Francine Shapiro $11.25
If you are concerned if EMDR is right for you or not, this is the book to read to find out. It also has some self soothing coping skills.
The Shack: By William P. Young $8. 81
A Novel about finding healing.
The Happiness Advantage DVD: By Shawn Achor $24.98
A film on how to rewire our brain from negative thinking to positive.
The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma By Bessel van der Kolk, M.D. $12.23 on Amazon
An easy to read research based book on trauma and the body.